Clinician-Scientist (MD/MSc) based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Sanquin Research – Landsteiner Laboratory, Amsterdam UMC
Doctoral Candidate Translational Immunohematology at Leiden University
I am an academically oriented research-minded junior physician, driven to contribute to science and society. I obtained my MD and MSc in the graduate-entry Research Master / Clinician Scientist Training Program at University Medical Center Utrecht. Before, I pursued a degree in Molecular Biomedicine at Maastricht University. During my studies, I also lived in Stockholm and worked as a research trainee at Karolinska Institutet.
My interests are studies on the intersection of laboratory biomedicine and epidemiology in hematology and immunology, true translational research, between bedside medicine and the bench. To make sense of my work, I am an enthusiastic R user.
I like to approach clinical challenges through a holistic framework which features continuous flow from challenge to research and implementation.
For my future, I aspire to participate in collaborative, excellent translational clinical research, combining basic and clinical sciences, while assuring societal relevance and impact as core principles.
Please feel free to approach me by mail or on LinkedIn or Twitter. I welcome all connections.
Clinical and molecular prognosis and management of immune thrombocytopenia
- Schmidt DE, et al. Anti-Platelet Antibodies in Childhood Immune Thrombocytopenia: Prevalence and Prognostic Implications. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2020; in press. DOI:10.1111/jth.14762
- Schmidt DE, et al. Anti-Platelet Antibody Immunoassays in Childhood Immune Thrombocytopenia: A Systematic Review. Vox Sanguinis 2020; in press. DOI:10.1111/vox.12894
- Schmidt DE & de Haan N, et al. IgG-Fc glycosylation before and after rituximab treatment in immune thrombocytopenia. Scientific Reports 2020; in press.
- Schmidt DE, et al. A Clinical Prediction Score for Course of Disease in Newly Diagnosed Childhood Immune Thrombocytopenia. ASH Orlando 2019 Poster; Blood (2019) 134: 2376.
- Nagelkerke SQ, Schmidt DE, de Haas M, Kuijpers TW. Genetic variation in Low-to-medium-affinity Fcγ receptors: functional consequences, disease associations and opportunities for personalized medicine. Frontiers Immunology 2019; E-pub
- Porcelijn L, Schmidt DE, van der Schoot CE, Vidarsson G, de Haas M, Kapur R. Anti-glycoprotein Ibα autoantibodies do not impair circulating thrombopoietin levels in immune thrombocytopenia patients. Haematologica. 2019 Jul 11; E-pub.
- Schmidt DE, Heitink-Pollé KMJ, Laarhoven AG, Bruin MCA, Veldhuisen B, Nagelkerke SQ, et al. Transient and chronic childhood immune thrombocytopenia are distinctly affected by Fc-γ receptor polymorphisms. Blood Adv. 2019 Jul 9;3(13):2003–12.
- Schmidt DE, et al. Identification of Self-Limiting Pediatric Immune Thrombocytopenia at Diagnosis. ASH San Diego 2018 Poster; Blood 2018 132:1145.
- Schmidt DE, et al. Anti-Platelet Antibodies Are Predominantly IgM in Childhood Immune Thrombocytopenia. ASH Atlanta 2017 Poster; Blood 2017 130:3641.
- Schmidt DE, et al. Predicting response to IVIG in childhood ITP: IVIG Pharmacokinetics and Fc receptor genotypes ISTH Berlin 2017 Poster.
- Rijkers M, Schmidt DE, et al. Anti-HLA antibodies with complementary and synergistic interaction geometries promote classical complement activation on platelets. Haematologica 2019; 104 (2), 403-416.
Use of rapid whole blood tests to diagnose and manage coagulation disorders
- Schmidt DE, Chaireti R, Bruzelius M, Holmström M, Antovic J, Ågren A. Correlation of thromboelastography and thrombin generation assays in warfarin-treated patients. Thrombosis Research. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2019.03.022 Epub 2019 Apr 1.
- Schmidt DE, Bruzelius M, Majeed A, Odeberg J, Holmström M, Ågren A. Whole blood ristocetin-activated platelet impedance aggregometry (Multiplate) for the rapid detection of Von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2017 Jul 26;117(8):1528-1533. doi: 10.1160/TH17-02-0129. Epub 2017 Jul 6.
- Schmidt DE, Majeed A, Bruzelius M, Odeberg J, Holmström M, Ågren A. A prospective diagnostic accuracy study evaluating rotational thromboelastometry and thromboelastography in 100 patients with von Willebrand disease. Haemophilia. 2016 Oct 26.
- Ågren A, Holmström M, Schmidt DE, Hosokawa K, Blombäck M, Hjemdahl P. Monitoring of coagulation factor therapy in patients with von Willebrand disease type 3 using a microchip flow chamber system. Thromb Haemost. 2016 Oct 20;117(1).
- Schmidt DE, Holmström M, Majeed A, Näslin D, Wallén H, Ågren A. Detection of elevated INR by thromboelastometry and thromboelastography in warfarin treated patients and healthy controls. Thromb Res. 2015 May;135(5):1007–11.
- Schmidt DE, Halmin M, Wikman A, Östlund A, Ågren A. Relative effects of plasma, fibrinogen concentrate, and factor XIII on ROTEM coagulation profiles in an in vitro model of massive transfusion in trauma. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2017 Jun 20:1-9. doi: 10.1080/00365513.2017.1334128. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schmidt DE, Manca M, Hoefer IE. Circulating endothelial cells in coronary artery disease and acute coronary syndrome. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2015 Oct;25(7):578-87. doi: 10.1016/j.tcm.2015.01.013. Epub 2015 Feb 7.
- Versteylen MO, Manca M, Joosen IA, Schmidt DE, Das M, Hofstra L, et al. CC chemokine ligands in patients presenting with stable chest pain: association with atherosclerosis and future cardiovascular events. Neth Heart J. 2016 Aug 29;24(12):722–9.
- Schmidt DE, Steinhagen F, Schnabel C, Spath B, Holstein K, Fiedler W, et al. Thrombin generation in a patient with an acquired high-titre factor V inhibitor. Blood Coagul Fibrin. 2015 Jan;26(1):81–7.