Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Physician Investigator (MD/MSc) at Sanquin Blood Supply
Doctoral Candidate Pediatric Hematology/Immunology at Leiden University
I am an academically oriented research-minded junior physician, driven to contribute to science and society. I obtained my medical doctorate in the graduate-entry Research Master in Clinical Medicine program at University Medical Center Utrecht. Before, I pursued a degree in Molecular Biomedicine at Maastricht University. During my studies, I also worked as a research trainee at Karolinska Institutet and lived in Stockholm for about a year.
My interests are studies on the intersection of laboratory biomedicine and epidemiology in hematology and immunology, true translational research, between bedside medicine and the bench. To make sense of my work, I am an enthusiastic R user.
I like to approach clinical challenges through a holistic framework which features continuous flow from challenge to research and implementation.
For my future, I aspire to participate in collaborative, excellent translational clinical research, combining basic and clinical sciences, while assuring societal relevance and impact as core principles.
Please feel free to approach me by mail or on LinkedIn or Twitter. I welcome all connections.
Treatment and mechanisms of childhood immune thrombocytopenia
- Schmidt DE, et al. Anti-Platelet Antibodies Are Predominantly IgM in Childhood Immune Thrombocytopenia. ASH Atlanta 2017 Poster; Blood 2017 130:3641.
- Schmidt DE, et al. Predicting response to IVIG in childhood ITP: IVIG Pharmacokinetics and Fc receptor genotypes ISTH Berlin 2017 Poster.
Studies on the use of rapid whole blood tests to diagnose and treat coagulopathies
- Schmidt DE, Bruzelius M, Majeed A, Odeberg J, Holmström M, Ågren A. Whole blood ristocetin-activated platelet impedance aggregometry (Multiplate) for the rapid detection of Von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2017 Jul 26;117(8):1528-1533. doi: 10.1160/TH17-02-0129. Epub 2017 Jul 6.
- Schmidt DE, Majeed A, Bruzelius M, Odeberg J, Holmström M, Ågren A. A prospective diagnostic accuracy study evaluating rotational thromboelastometry and thromboelastography in 100 patients with von Willebrand disease. Haemophilia. 2016 Oct 26.
- Ågren A, Holmström M, Schmidt DE, Hosokawa K, Blombäck M, Hjemdahl P. Monitoring of coagulation factor therapy in patients with von Willebrand disease type 3 using a microchip flow chamber system. Thromb Haemost. 2016 Oct 20;117(1).
- Schmidt DE, Holmström M, Majeed A, Näslin D, Wallén H, Ågren A. Detection of elevated INR by thromboelastometry and thromboelastography in warfarin treated patients and healthy controls. Thromb Res. 2015 May;135(5):1007–11.
- Schmidt DE, Halmin M, Wikman A, Östlund A, Ågren A. Relative effects of plasma, fibrinogen concentrate, and factor XIII on ROTEM coagulation profiles in an in vitro model of massive transfusion in trauma. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2017 Jun 20:1-9. doi: 10.1080/00365513.2017.1334128. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schmidt DE, Manca M, Hoefer IE. Circulating endothelial cells in coronary artery disease and acute coronary syndrome. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2015 Oct;25(7):578-87. doi: 10.1016/j.tcm.2015.01.013. Epub 2015 Feb 7.
- Versteylen MO, Manca M, Joosen IA, Schmidt DE, Das M, Hofstra L, et al. CC chemokine ligands in patients presenting with stable chest pain: association with atherosclerosis and future cardiovascular events. Neth Heart J. 2016 Aug 29;24(12):722–9.
- Schmidt DE, Steinhagen F, Schnabel C, Spath B, Holstein K, Fiedler W, et al. Thrombin generation in a patient with an acquired high-titre factor V inhibitor. Blood Coagul Fibrin. 2015 Jan;26(1):81–7.